Pugin’s St Wilfrid’s Catholic church in Cotton closes
An historic Staffordshire church has held its last service for the foreseeable future, and maybe forever.
St Wilfrid’s Catholic church at Cotton was designed by Augustus Pugin and has the recently beatified Cardinal Newman listed on a wall as one of its priests.
But dry rot has forced its closure and until the results of a survey are known, it’s unclear whether it’ll ever re-open.
A Friends of St Wilfrid’s group is being set up to try to save the church…..
Celebrated Pugin design
St Wilfrid’s Church was designed in 1846 by Augustus Pugin, the architect who designed the Houses of Parliament. He’d been commissioned by the Earl of Shrewsbury, from nearby Alton Towers, to design the church for Father Frederick Faber, whom the Earl was encouraging to set up a religious community in the area.
Fr. Faber was offered the choice of either land next to the Church of St. Giles in Cheadle (a celebrated Pugin design in its own right), or land adjoining Cotton Hall a few miles away.
Many of the stones in the church were laid by Faber’s own hand and those of the other Brothers in the new community.
Then, as soon as the church was built, the brethren went out in pairs inviting the locals to their services. Fr. Faber thereby became, as the learned Fr. Knight of Altrincham observed: “…the first priest since the Reformation to convert a whole village”.
Interesting Church history/architecture report
November 11, 2010 by paul likoudis